Tuesday, April 28, 2009

4/28/09











I returned from Brooklyn by way of my hometown to visit my family. I bestowed a watering can and flower on my niece Naomi who is 2 1/2 years old. She helped me water and apply compost and mulch to the front of my parents house.


I am taking a noontime break from the heat of the garden after a busy morning. After narrowly escaping injury starting the mower, I cut the grass and moved on to more important tasks. The peppers have grown up well in their cells in the basement and it was time to move them to 4" pots to grow up a bit more before they get moved to the bed. They, and eggplants suffer from being moved to beds that haven't warmed sufficiently. They supposedly become stunted and are slow to bear. Both the peppers and eggplants are developing their true leaves and are looking very healthy.  I started tearing up the 20'x6' bed that will house the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants but it is slow going.


 I followed Crockett's advice for planting leeks and dug a trench into which I transplanted my seedlings. As they grow up I will continue to fill in the trench around the developing vegetable, covering up the white part of the stalk.





I direct-sowed (saw?) chives, coriander, parsley, and dill in the herb bed. The basil is getting larger in the trays and will be ready to transplant when the weather is more reliable. I started fennel in flats a few weeks ago and need should have started my rosemary indoors by now, too. I need to get some garlic cloves to plant and should find some mint and thyme to add also.

Today I planted zucchini in peat pots, two per pot. I need to get some summer squash, winter squash and pumpkin seeds. I am running out of time and space to start them, but I would like to end up with 2 each of zukes and squash, and maybe one winter squash and pumpkin plant, for the experience if not for the harvest.

This afternoon the peach tree goes in the ground. I will cut the branches back to about 2" from the trunk so that it will focus its energy on the root system.

I had plans to visit the New England Wild Flower Society's "Garden in the Woods" in Framingham, MA on my way back to town yesterday, but they are closed on Mondays.  I will try to get out there so I can finally find some native flowers to improve the aesthetic of the garden.  
Instead I went to the Wilton Library's book sale and spent $3 on six books including two on native plants and wild flowers, a hefty Reader's Digest book from 1981 called Back to Basics that deals with homesteading and "how to learn and enjoy traditional american skills".  So I will let you know as I acquire expertise in everything from pickling to crafting my own mountain dulcimer.

No comments:

Post a Comment