Monday, July 13, 2009

July 13 already






To finally update, the sun is out after a ridiculously wet June.  This means the peppers and eggplants are finally starting to grow instead of just sitting there getting eaten by flea beetles.


The tomatoes are growing well and have maintained a disease-free state despite all the rain.  Our first sungold cherry tomatoes are visible.  




The herb garden is filling in, and hopefully the new batch of basil I transplanted in will be ready when we start harvesting the tomatoes.  





The corn grew a lot this weekend, so I was glad I finally got around to weeding and mulching it on Friday.  The pumpkins in the back are indeed starting to weave their way into the corn, hopefully dissuading any raccoons that might be interested in it.  Supposedly the prickly pumpkin vine is more than they can handle.



The cucumbers, too, are enjoying the sun and are starting to send out their tendrils which I will guide to the trellis when they are long enough.








I harvested the peas this morning and took out the row.  I plan on freezing most of the harvest for later on.  We will plant a new row late this month I think for a fall crop.  The timing is a little trickier than in the spring when you just plant them when the ground thaws.

I have a tray of a different variety of corn that I started 2 weeks ago.  I plan on expanding the pea bed in the next few days to make room for a different corn stand that will be harvested later in the fall.  

We will make room for a new sowing of beets and carrots, too, which will be harvested throughout the fall and winter.

swiss chard + kale = no room







wildflower bed











a mighty parsnip










li'l onion









1st wonky carrot
Jonathan salad-hands

No comments:

Post a Comment