Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Many New Things


We just got back from a weekend away and returned to a thriving garden thanks to some neighbors and relatives. 

On Friday, Charlotte and I worked until after dark to plant up the eggplant and pepper seedlings to complete the 20' x 6' bed that also contains the tomato plants.  We have 12 tomato plants, 6 eggplant and 16 peppers.   


The two pre-existing shaded beds are cleared and full of wildflower seed from Garden in the Woods.  We shall see what comes up.


Our sunflower seeds are putting out their true leaves and I think I will transplant them sometime this week.

Sadly, we lost all of our cucumber seedlings to a hot day last week while we were at work.  We managed to salvage one from the lot, but it was very upsetting.  I told the farmer at work about it and he said that he lost all of his cuke seedlings as well that day (on a much larger scale).  I will start the cucumbers by seed then and build a trellis for them to grow up.   I will plant our soy beans in the same bed.


News from the herb bed is that our garlic is tall and hopefully doing well underground, our coriander is prolific and a few of the nasturtium we sowed are up.  I count one dill plant so far, and a handful of what I hope is parsley.

Another unfortunate mass slaughter was a closed cold frame that destroyed the extra tomato and pepper seedlings, along with the basil.  There are too many hours between 9 and 5 for things to go wrong.


tonight's dinner









peas
  

No comments:

Post a Comment